Friday, March 5, 2010

What’s in Your Curio Cabinet?

We call our blog the curio cabinet because that is where most of our figurines and other collectibles are displayed in people’s homes. Anything really special to me is displayed in my china cabinet, so I thought I would share my cabinet, what’s in it and what it means to me.

I have items from both of my grandmothers and both of my husband’s grandmothers in my china cabinet. My grandmother had lots of figurines and porcelain items that we played with as children—not knowing that they were valuable. I have a very old ceramic bowl with a lid that belonged to my mother’s mother. I have my father’s mother’s china that was bought from a door-to-door salesman when she was newly married. I also keep my cat collection in the cabinet along with some antique books, my grandmother’s rolling pin, some figurines from Hamilton and some sea shells and shark’s teeth. While all these items are just things, they mean the world to me because they were collected by these women that meant so much to me and to my husband. I think that grandparents worry about their legacies. What will happen to their things and will anyone appreciate the items that they valued in life? I certainly do, and even though I don’t know how each of these items was acquired, I love them all the same and hope to pass them to the younger generation in my family someday.

Here are some pictures of my china cabinet:




Also, a lady in the office shared her curio cabinet and collections. She has a lot more than I do, and it looks like she displays her collectibles all over the house.




Please send in your curio cabinet pictures and tell us all about your items that are important enough to keep behind glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment