Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

This is the time of year when everyone makes resolutions. Not only is it a new year, it’s a whole new decade! And each year, just about everyone resolves to make their life better in some way, whether it’s to save money, lose weight, spend more time with family or finish those unfinished projects around the house.

I’ve made a New Year’s resolution, too. This year I am vowing to be better about reaching out to everyone through this blog. There’s so much to talk about and so much I want to share with you, but it just comes down to finding the time to sit and write about it.

While the New Year provides the perfect spark for making changes, we all know the really big challenge is keeping those promises we make to ourselves. We start off with the very best intentions, but then as the days and weeks pass, we slip back into old habits and forget what we resolved to change.

There are two well-known sayings that come to mind with all this resolution talk. You’ve heard that the pen is mightier than the sword? In other words, write it, don’t say it. I’m serious this year, so I’ve written mine down. And I’ve shared it with others, too. Second, it has often been said that it takes 21 days to form a habit, so to make sure I keep my resolution this year, I’ve planned out my schedule and set dedicated time each week just to blog. I’ve made a list of things I want to write about, too. I like lists—they keep me focused.

When it comes to resolutions, I think the important thing is to recognize all the good things we already have – that’s what I tell myself anyway. Because every year I say I am going to exercise and lose weight, and something always makes me give it up. So, this year I am going to say I am going to lose weight but also feel very lucky to have my family, my job, food on the table and a warm place to live. If I feel grateful for all of these wonderful things, maybe giving up chocolate cake won’t feel so bad.

Have you made a resolution this year? Share it with me here as a comment, or if you really want to “put it out there,” you can share it with all of us on Facebook. Together, let’s vow to keep our resolutions and make 2010 the best year yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment